Want to go to the 2014 Ryder Cup this week? Chances are you’ll need to max out a couple credit cards to do so.
According to a report by the London Telegraph, Ryder Cup tickets were being sold for as much as $1,640 on various secondary ticketing websites. This was all being done despite a recent decision by tournament officials to bar any non-direct ticket buyers from entering the premises. So much for rules, eh?
Popular secondhand online ticket retailers like Stubhub or Viagogo have been said to encourage “unauthorized resale of tickets” – somewhere around 135,000 tickets, at that — despite the aforementioned tournament disclaimer.
“All spectators should be aware that they could be subjected to random security searches and every ticket is checked at our security points,” a Ryder Cup spokesperson said. “It is not required that photo ID ticket holders carry alternative photo identification, as their picture is on their ticket. Selected ticket types do not have photo ID on them, but every ticket is allocated to an individual by the organisations that bought them.
“Therefore, those ticket holders are advised to carry alternative photo identification so that they can be verified as rightful holders of their ticket should it be necessary to do so. Anyone found to be carrying a ticket not allocated to them personally will be refused entry as our number one priority is the safety and security of the Ryder Cup site.”
Complete Ryder Cup Coverage:
– U.S. Team Room Is Jaw-Droppingly Awesome
– Who Wore Velvet Best: Team Europe Or Pop Stars?
– Comeback King: Phil Mickelson Retorts ‘Suck On That’
– Sir Alex Ferguson Called On To Inspire Team Europe
– Phil’s on Fire: Confirms Keegan Pairing, Takes Shot At Team Europe
– Inside The Ropes: Ryder Cup Twitter Roundup
– 5 Things You Need To Know: Ryder Cup At Gleneagles
– Ryder Cup Rookies: Spieth, Reed, Walker Debut For U.S.
– The Odds: Ryder Cup Odds & Props Offer Plenty Of Options
– 3 Things You’ll See At The Ryder Cup This Week
– Ryder Cup Rookies: Dubuisson, Donaldson, Gallacher Debut For Europe
– Best Crowd Moments In Ryder Cup History
– Golf Manufacturers Showcase Ryder Cup-Inspired Gear
– 11 Most Memorable Ryder Cup Moments
– 5 Players Team Europe Needs To Play Well At Ryder Cup
– 5 Players The U.S. Needs To Play Well At Ryder Cup
– Fans Now Encouraged To Use Social Media At Ryder Cup
– Team USA Ryder Cup Posters Will Get You Pumped
– Rory McIlroy on Keegan Bradley & Ian Poulter: ‘They’re Both Nuts’
– ‘Screw You’: Ian Poulter Trash Talks Michael Jordan… In His Head
– One American’s Tribute to Ryder Cup Legend/Nightmare Ian Poulter
– TaylorMade Inks European Ryder Cup Player Jamie Donaldson
– Harrington, Jimenez, Olazabal Named Ryder Cup Vice Captains
– Sergio Garcia Disappointed Luke Donald Not on Ryder Cup Team
– Ralph Lauren Unveils U.S. Ryder Cup Team Uniforms
– Bradley, Mahan, Simpson Named U.S. Ryder Cup Captain’s Picks
– Gallacher, Poulter, Westwood Complete European Ryder Cup Team