We all know it’s nearly impossible to compare today’s PGA Tour golfer to those from the past. What Tiger Woods did for the game of golf in terms of financial benefits (and the great guys at No Laying Up even worked up a post analyzing what they have coined “The Tiger Tax”) has made the PGA Tour player of today so well off that private jets aren’t just a bonus, but a regular occurrence.
Related Link: 5 Things We Learned From The FedExCup Playoffs
But sometimes you have to see in print just how much these players make to totally grasp the difference from now to then. Billy Horschel’s FedEx Cup playoff pull was a hefty $13,477,333 thanks to the two wins and the FedExCup bonus. And while that number alone is incredible, it takes some perspective to see just how much money that is … especially considering it came mostly from a hot run at the end of the season.
Here are some of the names on the PGA Tour career earnings list that Horschel would pass with his impressive three-week payout if the FedEx bonus counted on the earnings sheet, (and don’t forget, he missed the cut at The Barclays — the FedExCup opener — and earned zilch). And remember, we’re talking about how much these great players made their entire careers on the PGA Tour.
- Jose Maria Olazabal ($12,355,310)
- Payne Stewart ($11,737,008)
- Graeme McDowell ($11,433,116)
- Tom Watson ($11,069,517)
- John Daly ($10,153,316)
- Craig Stadler ($10,021,897)
- Peter Jacobsen ($7,799,810)
The $13.4 million that Horschel earned over the 2014 FedExCup playoffs? It would put Horschel 104th all-time on the PGA Tour career earnings list if the bonus was involved, meaning that while his earnings aren’t that high for now, the extra cash he earned from playing the way he did makes Horschel a very, very rich man. Not a bad three week stretch of golf if you can get it for the 27-year-old who had just one top 10 on the PGA Tour since Jan. 7 before his three-week run that began at the Deutsche Bank Championship.
Related Links: 5 Things To Know About Billy Horschel
Other Hot Links:
– 5 Things We Learned From The FedExCup Playoffs
– 9 Most Memorable FedExCup Moments
– 7 Outrageous Things $10 Million Could Buy For Billy Horschel’s Daughter
– Hopping Hazard: Golfer Hits Shot Over Sun-Bathing Kangaroo
– Space Ace: Andy Sullivan Wins Prize That’s Out of This World
– 10 Million Reasons Billy Horschel Might Miss The Birth Of His Child
– Are Massages Hindering Jason Day’s Play?
– Rory McIlroy’s Ball Lands In Fan’s Pocket, Still Makes Par
– Rory McIlroy Has Said Meaner Things Right To Tiger Woods’ Face
– Callaway Apex MB, UT Irons Designed For the Better Player