When Phil Mickelson opted to skip this year’s PGA Grand Slam of Golf, which pits the year’s four major winners against each other in Bermuda, Back9Network ambassador Padraig Harrington got the call to fill in. He received the invite because he was the defending champ of the event.
1) Where does Bermuda rank on the places you’ve played golf?
Playing golf in Bermuda ranks well up there with the best of the best.
2) If not No. 1, what is No. 1?
Royal Portrush (County Antrim, Northern Ireland) & Augusta
3) What course in the world do you want to play but haven’t?
There are still some great courses I haven’t played, but none that I am desperate to get to at the moment. I’m lucky enough to have played most of the amazing courses.
4) Where in the world do you most want to visit?
There isn’t anywhere that I would really like to go at the moment; again I am very lucky that my job takes me all over the world.
5) We saw video of you warming up on the driving range Happy Gilmore style; is that a regular thing or just for the cameras?
It is a regular part of my warm up – I do 5 Happy Gilmore shots during my warm up to get my left hip to stabilize during my down swing.
6) Where are your trophies for the majors you’ve won (2007 & ’08 Open Championship, ’08 PGA Championship)?
My two Open trophies are on the breakfast bar in the kitchen and the USPGA Championship trophy is on the kitchen table – they are all very much part of my daily routine.
7) Ever serve guests drinks out of your claret jugs just to remind them about your wins?
I don’t, however at all my celebration parties there were lots of different drinks drunk out of them! In 2007, Guinness and John Smiths (my manager’s favourites) were the first.
8) What is your biggest pet peeve (on or off the course)?
I don’t have any off the course, I am really relaxed. However on course it would have to be people not repairing their pitch marks properly.
9) If you could play any other sport, what would it be?
The Irish sport – Hurling