As a small craft brewery in Burlington, Vt., Magic Hat naturally wants to get its beer into as many locations as possible, whether that be liquor stores, bars or restaurants. Wherever people are likely to seek out a refreshing beer.
But one type of location wouldn’t take Magic Hat beer because it was only available in glass bottles: golf clubs. To remedy that issue, the brewery soon thereafter began putting its popular #9 ale in cans.
“Magic Hat is distributed to a few different golf courses around,” says Chris Rockwood, head brewer at Magic Hat. “A couple years ago we just launched #9 in cans specifically to target those areas that craft models could never get in to and one of those big markets is country clubs and golf courses, where glass is frowned upon very admittedly. So we launched some cans and have been able to get into some golf bags and get into the famous 19th green and enjoy some rounds with a few different people.”
Rockwood is a casual golfer and among the many who enjoy a brew or two during 18 holes.
“As a casual golfer with the tendency to sometimes lose a ball or hit a ball into a pond or tree or sand trap, being able to have a beer in hand or a beer cart or even in your bag when you’re walking, that tends to take the edge off that ugly 90- or 100-shot score you just posted on a rough day,” Rockwood says. “But you know, you might as well stay hydrated while you’re out there and it tends to be hot, so if you can stay hydrated and take the edge off at the same time, why not have a beer or two?”
Golfers around the country can now find Magic Hat at select locations. And Vermonters or other New Englanders looking for something to do next weekend can travel to Burlington for Magic Hat’s 19th Annual Mardi Gras event. It runs Feb. 28-March 2.
More Back9Network Video:
– Back9Network Presents ‘Inspire 2 Aspire’
– Celebs Dine and Drive at SOBE Wine & Food Festival
– Okemo: Summer Golf Resort, Winter Wonderland
– Tiger and Rory: Mission to China
– Ahmad Rashad Hassled By Guy On Driving Range… And It’s Tiger Woods
– Video: Tiger, Rory and Ahmad Uncensored at Mission Hills
– Ted Bishop & Jim Remy: Growing The Game
– Coach Ditka Unwinds at Mickey Blake’s Cigars
– TaylorMade CEO Mark King on Growing The Game
– Ahmad Rashad Takes You Inside the PGA Merchandise Show
– Kelley James Drops Epic Golf Freestyle
– Does It Drive: Season 1 Highlights
– Preview of Harley Davidson’s 2014 Motorcycle Lineup
– Video: 2014 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray Test Drive
– Donald Trump on the State of Golf