After calling Ian Poulter a “Lil Girl” in a since-deleted tweet, and a “little school girl” in a since-deleted Facebook post, PGA of America President Ted Bishop has been fired.
Bishop’s comments came after he read Poulter’s autobiography. The book came out this week and included negative comments about Nick Faldo, who said Sergio Garcia was useless in the 2008 Ryder Cup. Europe lost that event with Faldo as captain, and Poulter wrote that players had “lost a lot of respect” for Faldo.
“That’s the Ryder Cup where he was captain. That’s the Ryder Cup where the Europe team suffered a heavy defeat. And he was captain. So who’s useless?” Poulter wrote.
After reading the book, Bishop took to Twitter and wrote, “@IanJamesPoulter -Faldo’s record stands by itself. Six majors and all-time RC points. Yours vs. His? Lil Girl. @NickFaldo006 @pgaofamerica”
On Facebook, Bishop posted, “Used to be athletes who had lesser records or accomplishments in a sport never criticized the icons. Tom Watson (8 majors and a 10-3-1 Ryder Cup record) and Nick Faldo (6 majors and all-time Ryder Cup points leader) get bashed by Ian James Poulter. Really? Sounds like a little school girl squealing during recess. C’MON MAN!”
Poulter responded with a statement to the Golf Channel: “Is being called a ‘lil girl’ meant to be derogatory or a put down? That’s pretty shocking and disappointing, especially coming from the leader of the PGA of America. No further comment.”
According to the Associated Press, Bishop didn’t apologize for his comments but said he should have expressed himself differently. He had one month left on a two-year term.
More Hot Links:
– Yao Ming Is Taking Funny Pictures With Golfers Again
– New iPhone ‘Golfinity’ Game Looks Simply Addicting
– Viral Photo: Golfers Play On While African Migrants Stuck On Fence
– Martin Kaymer Can Hit His Putter A Mile
– Three-Man Juggling Trick Shot Is The Best Thing You’ll See Today
– The Fringe: Watson In Royal Company, Bubba’s New Boat & More
– Off Par: My Swing I Am A-Changin’ by Slow Play
– More Than Just A Putting Green: 3 Incredible Golf Homes For Sale