Phil Mickelson: ‘I’ll Probably End Up Winning My First Open’ If It Rains

That slightly pudgy man you see moving about awkwardly is not Miguel Angel Jimenez celebrating a hole-out. It’s Phil Mickelson doing a rain dance.

You may have heard that Lefty has never won the U.S. Open, but he’s finished second a record six times. You also may have heard that he’s one major short of collecting the career grand slam. And maybe you heard he’s a pretty confident guy.

Mickelson is sure that if it rains this week at Pinehurst, his chances of claiming his first U.S. Open, and thus the career grand slam, are pretty good.

“If it rains, I have really good action there. I’ll probably end up winning my first Open,” Mickelson said Tuesday in a video posted by KPMG Golf.  “And if it doesn’t, I might have to wait until Chambers Bay next year.”

What are the chances of rain this week in Pinehurst? Pretty good. As of Tuesday evening, the 10-day Weather Channel forecast shows scattered or isolated thunderstorms each day of the tournament, and even afternoon storms on Wednesday, possibly softening up the No. 2 course for the first golfers Thursday morning. There is a 60 percent chance of rain on Thursday, 40 percent on Friday, 30 percent on Saturday and 40 percent on Sunday.

So take that for what it’s worth. Mickelson is obviously hoping for rain but if it doesn’t come this year, he alluded to waiting until next year at Chambers Bay. That’s a links-style course that has never hosted a U.S. Open before. It’s located on Puget Sound outside of Tacoma, Wash.

That’s in the Pacific Northwest, where, you may have heard, it rains a lot.

Related Link: Complete 2014 U.S. Open Coverage

More U.S. Open Coverage:
The 5 Golfers Who Have Achieved the Career Grand Slam
– By the Numbers: U.S. Open History
– Pinehurst 2.0: Mean Greens
– The Real Origins of Pinehurst
– A Look Back: Phil Mickelson’s Six U.S. Open Runner-Up Finishes
– Masters Thoughts with Will Ferrell
– Pinehurst No. 2: Restored Back to its Historic Roots
– 5 Things You Need to Know: 2014 U.S. Open at Pinehurst
– Chuck Irons, Golf P.I. Is ‘Pinecursed’
– 2014 U.S. Open Round 1 & 2 Tee Times and Pairings
– Greatest Ever: Payne Stewart & the 1999 U.S. Open
– Top 9 U.S. Open Moments
– 9 Players to Watch at the 2014 U.S. Open
– 9 Best Golfers Yet to Win a Major
– Missing Major: 9 Players Who Just Missed Career Grand Slam
– U.S. Open Ticket Prices Plummet From 2013
– U.S. Open Odds: McIlroy, Scott and Mickelson Lead
– Oh, the Places Golf’s Majors Trophies Have Been
– TaylorMade Scripting for 2014 U.S. Open
– Nike Golf 2014 U.S. Open Scripting
– It’s Official: Tiger Woods To Miss U.S. Open
– Phil Mickelson Sees Multiple Olympics, U.S. Open Wins in Future
– Heartbreaker: Amateur’s U.S. Open Dream Ends with Self-DQ
– USGA Hands Out 25 More U.S. Open Exemptions 
– Cheyenne Woods Qualifies For U.S. Women’s Open