Remember the ball that Rory McIlroy threw into the crowd after winning his first Open Championship? The one that everyone was shocked he didn’t keep?
Yeah, that ball was worth a lot of money.
Related Link: You Could Own Rory McIlroy’s Open Championship Ball
It was put up for bidding by Green Jacket Auctions on July 23 for $1,000, but it sold for way more than that. The auction ended Sunday morning, bringing in a whopping $52,038.65.
The man who caught the ball at Royal Liverpool, Lee Horner, turned down a $10,000 offer to sell the ball outright to Green Jacket Auctions. Instead, he opted to sell the ball himself on the website, giving them a portion of the final sale price.
Safe to say he came away with more than $10,000 on this one.
McIlroy’s ball came close to becoming the most expensive golf ball sold on GreenJacketAuctions.com, coming up just shy of the $55,000 Bobby Jones signed ball.
The auction saw a flurry of bids late on Saturday, more than doubling the price from $21,109.00 at around 3 p.m. EST, to the final sale price of $52,038.65 on Sunday morning.
With the way McIlroy is playing of late, he’s certainly on track to become one of the greatest golfers of all time. Could this ball wind up being a bargain at $52,038.65? We’ll see.
And while we’re at it, take a peek at Back9’s upcoming original show starring the good folks at Green Jacket Auctions, “Golf Treasures,” currently in production. Back9Network launches on DIRECTV September 29th on channel 262.
Other Hot Links:
– Ray Allen’s Golf Bag is a Must-See
– The Fringe: Bubba Watson Won’t Drive for Show
– Bored Tiger Woods Throws Paper Airplane at Bubba Watson
– Got $60 Million? Buy Your Own Private Golf Course & Mansion
– Tweek in Review: The Week’s Best Tweets
– Tiger Woods, Rory McIlroy Get Custom Louisville Sluggers
– Monty Thinks Skipping Poulter for Ryder Cup is a Good Idea
– Rory vs. Rickie: Will McIlroy-Fowler be Golf’s Next Great Rivalry?
– Round 3 Recap: McIlroy Keeps Lead, Big Names Close Behind
– Photos: PGA Championship – Round 3
– Jason Day Shows Off Legs, Makes Most Bizarre Par Ever
– Whoops: Ian Poulter’s Wedge Shot On Green Backfires
– 2014 PGA Championship’s Hole of the Day: Valhalla’s 18th