The cause of the fire that destroyed the historic clubhouse at Oakland Hills Country Club is believed to be a propane torch that was being used by maintenance workers prior to the blaze getting out of control, according to surveillance camera footage.
The Oakland County Sheriff’s Office released its preliminary findings last week, saying construction workers attempting to rebuild a patio were using the torch in an effort to install rubberized flashing.The heat from the flame helps dry the flashing in the cold weather. The video shows the workers attempting to put out a small fire with a garden hose.
@oaklandhillscc in Bloomfield Twp caught fire Thurs Feb. 17, 2022.
Several fire depts battled the fire which quickly spread. Many irreplaceable golf tournament memorabilia & art more than likely lost or badly damaged. 📸’s by @ericseals of @freep @freepsports #oaklandhills pic.twitter.com/cAXkKF3lHi
— 📸🎥Eric Seals (@ericseals) February 17, 2022
The fire spread from the east side of the building where the workers were into the attic and beyond.
In all, the fire resulted in an $80 million loss for the club, which has hosted major championships and Ryder Cups in its storied history.
The club plans to rebuild the clubhouse, but many of the historical articles held within the building were lost to the fire.